MathWorks Minidrone Workshop
In this workshop we assist participants to develop industry-relevant skills using drones! You will learn how to model, simulate, and fly a drone. The workshop will walk you through control systems, path planning, and image processing for a drone and showcase how you can deploy a Simulink model on the drone hardware.
The workshop will culminate in a hands-on friendly and fun game between participants.
HighlightsThe workshop will equip participants with the basics of the following key skills which are relevant in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and robotics:
- Simulation and Control
- Finite State Machines and Control Logic
- Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Embedded Code Generation and Hardware Deployment
|Application opens:||12 September 2022|
|Notice of acceptance:||14 October 2022|
|Workshop:||28-30 November 2022|
Who can participate?
The event is open for anyone interested to learn more about MATLAB and Simulink and drones. You can participate as a student, an academic, someone working in industry, or someone working for a government institution. Since space to participate is limited, only a select number of applications will be accepted for participation.
Where will the event take place?The event is held in-person in conjunction with the 2022 World Engineering Education Forum and The Global Engineering Deans Council (WEEF&GEDC 2022) Conference to be held from 28 November to 01 December 2022 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC).
What do I need to do to participate in the workshop?
To participate in this in-person event, you will need to follow these steps before 7 October 2022:
- Complete the application form.
- Complete the MATLAB Onramp and submit the progress report here.
- Complete the Simulink Onramp and submit the progress report here.
Since space is limited, please apply as soon as possible. The organisers will contact you via email regarding the success of your application by 14 October 2022.
What is the cost of the workshop?
If your application is successful and you are already a registered student delegate of WEEF&GEDC 2022, there is no cost to participate in the workshop. You will be emailed by the organisers of the workshop to confirm your participation.
If you are not registered for the conference, you will be contacted via email to complete a registration form and pay the participation fee of R 1900 (approx. $120). This includes a delegate bag, attendance of the technical sessions at WEEF&GEDC 2022, teas and lunches.
How do I complete the onramp courses?
- Sign in to your MathWorks Account or create a new one, if you do not have one.
(Click here to Sign in to your MathWorks Account or create a new one.)
- Navigate to the at the top right of the page.
- Select the ‘Online training’ option.
- Select ‘MATLAB Onramp’ and complete the course (Time to complete: ~ 2 hours).
- Select ‘Simulink Onramp’ and complete the course (Time to complete: ~ 2 hours).
How do I get the progress report links?After 100% completion of the two courses (MATLAB Onramp and Simulink Onramp), use the following process to submit the links of your Progress Report:
- Open the respective Onramp page.
- Click on ‘Certificate’.
- Under the dialogue box, select ‘Progress Report’ and select ‘Copy’.
- Submit the progress report links here.